- Six-sigma is a statistical measure of the performance of a process or a product.
- It is a goal that reaches near perfection for performance improvement
- It is also a system of management to achieve lasting business leader-ship and world- class performance
SIX THEMES OF SIX-SIGMA:
- Genuine Focus On The Customer
- Data - And Fact - Driven Management
- Processes Are Where The Action Is
- Proactive Management
- Boundary - Less Collaboration
- Drive For Perfection; Tolerate Failure
SIX-SIGMA TEAM’S PROBLEM-SOLVING PROCESS
The improvement, problem-solving and process-design teams are the most visible and active component of a six –sigma effort, especially at first. These teams, as we have noted, is created to solve organizational problems and to capitalize on opportunities. Led by a black belt or a green belt, the teams usually number three to ten members (five or six is best) representing different parts of the process is being worked on
In bringing a diverse team together, it is critical to have a common process, or model, that all members can share to get their work done. The answer to this need in six-sigma is the DAMIC (pronounced duh-MAY-ick) process: Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control. By following this process, a flexible but powerful set of five steps for making improvement happen and stick, the teamwork works from a statement of the problem to implement of a solution, with lots of activities in between. In working through this DAMIC process, team is also interacting with the larger organization, intervening customers, gathering data, and talking to people whose work will be affected by the team’s solution recommendations.
Of course, six-sigma teams, or DAMIC teams, do not just spring into expertise. Just as important are the step that go into choosing the projects, forming the team, and shifting the team’s work into the real world. In this chapter, we will look first at the steps of forming and disbanding a DMAIC team. We will also look at the steps and tools of the DMAIC problem – solving model.